The Affordable Care Act (ACA) has made it easier to get affordable health insurance coverage. This is especially true for those who may not have been able to afford or qualify for health insurance in the past. And now, shopping for health insurance has never been simpler. You can get coverage several ways, including through:
- Your employer
- An insurance agent
- An insurance company
- The Health Insurance Marketplace
- Government programs like Medicare or Medicaid (qualified participants only)
Learn More About Health Care Costs
For those who can't afford health insurance there are a few options to get help paying for health care costs, including
- Cost sharing assistance — A discount that lowers the amount you pay for your deductible, coinsurance and copayments.
- Premium tax credit — A credit that lowers your monthly premium. Find out with our premium tax credit estimator.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois offers a variety of plans. Shop for health insurance and find out how to choose a health care plan that's right for you.
Tips for More Affordable Health Insurance
Help decrease your health care costs and save money using the following easy tips:
- Choose the right plan — All plans provide the same set of essential health benefits, quality, and amount of care. Where they differ is on how the costs of the benefits are applied. Learn more.
- Know your plan — All plans are different. Before you go for care, make sure you know how your plan works, what’s covered and where to go. It may save you time and money. Learn More.
- Stay in your network — Most health plans like HMOs and PPOs require you to use certain doctors, hospitals and other health care professionals. Stay in your network when possible to help avoid paying more. Register or log in to Blue Access for MembersSM, our secure member website, for a personalized search experience based on your health plan and network.
- Understand your prescription benefits — Know the details of your prescription drug coverage plan. Sometimes going to certain pharmacies or using mail order pharmacy services can help you save money. In addition, always ask your doctor or pharmacist if there's a generic version of your medicine available. Learn more.
- Use your member perks — Look for member discounts on things like gym memberships and vision services. Check to see if there are special incentive programs for quitting smoking, losing weight, exercising and more.
- Stay Healthy — Do your best to eat right, exercise and get regular health screenings. Encourage all family members to live a healthy lifestyle, too.
We’re Here to Help You!
Send us a question or request more information. Our team is here to help you get a 2021 health care plan for yourself or your family.