Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois (BCBSIL) offers one-time text message programs as well as subscription text services on the short codes 222745 and 33633. These text messages may be either transactional alerts or contain marketing content.
BCBSIL offers these text programs to provide information or resource links on some of the following but not exclusive topics: member coverage and health insurance education. Health related information provided is not meant to replace professional medical advice. Transactional information provided is valid only at the time the text message is sent and may change at a later time.
Some text message programs may include two-way text communications between BCBSIL and you. We take all appropriate measures to ensure the security of the information you send to us in these programs.
Our text messaging program is accessible through the member website, Blue Access for MembersSM(BAMSM). Members must be registered and choose to participate through the BAM website. See below for more specific information.
BCBSIL Text Messaging
What is BCBSIL text messaging?
BCBSIL text messaging allows members to opt-in to receive important information directly to a mobile phone via a text message.
What types of text messages can I sign up for?
- Claim Status Notification — Receive notifications when claims are processed. Note: Only subscribers are able to opt-in for claim status notification
- Saving Opportunities and Choices — Timely notices to help you choose cost-effective care services
- Health and Wellbeing — Info regarding wellness programs from BCBSIL
- Member Feedback — Opportunities to provide input on your experience as well as request improvements and enhancements
How do I opt in for text messaging?
If you are a registered BAM member:
- Log in to BAM
- Go to the Preferences page and enter your mobile phone number.
- Check your text messages. You will receive one from us, asking you to confirm your registration.
- Reply Y to confirm you want to receive text messages. Once you reply Y you will be opted in.
If you are not a registered BAM member:
You can opt in to receive text messages via our Preferences page
How do I change the mobile phone number that I submitted to opt in to text messaging?
To change your mobile phone number, go to your Mobile Preferences within your User Profile in BAM and enter a new number.
You can opt out of BCBSIL text messaging programs at any time by texting STOP to cancel. A confirmation message will be sent back to you.
What are the available text keywords?
- Text CONTACTIL to 33633 to receive a link to update your contact and notification preferences
- Text URGENTIL to 33633 to receive a link to find an urgent care provider near you
- Text BCBSILAPP to 33633 to receive a link to download the mobile app
- Text HELP to 222745 to receive information on where to get your questions answered
- Text STOP to 222745 to end all text messages
Users of this service will not be charged a fee by BCBSIL. However, you may want to check with your mobile service provider since message and data rates may apply, depending on your mobile service agreement.